Rows of hundreds of years old churches scattered in several points in the city of Jakarta hold a long history of the spread of Christianity in the colonial era.
These historic buildings are still standing strong and carry out their function as houses of worship.
Kompas.com summarizes a list of five historic churches in Jakarta that have contributed to the spread of Christianity in the archipelago.
Church of Santa Maria de Fatima
Located in the Petak Sembilan area, Jalan Kemenangan III Number 47, Glodok Village, Taman Sari District, West Jakarta, the Santa Maria de Fatima Catholic Church has a typical Chinese architecture.
In the book Old Churches in Jakarta by Adolf Heuken SJ, built in the 19th century, this building was originally intended as a house complex for a captain in the Batavian era with the clan of Tjioe.
In 1953, the house of the captain of the Tjioe clan, said Yonas, was bought by the Parish of St. Petrus and Paulus Churches on Jalan Raya Mangga Besar Number 55, West Jakarta, because the number of people had increased.
Two years later, Stasi Maria de Fatima developed into its own parish, Parish Toasebio.
After it was turned into a church building, the open land between the outer gate and the front door of the main building was turned into a church building.
Schools and dormitories were built next to a church building designated for overseas Chinese or Hoakiauw (Overseas Chinese).
Because until now the Church of Santa Maria de Fatima still maintains the original structure of the building, people often think that this building is a temple.
The impression of luxury is still visible from the roof in the shape of a swallow tail, a pair of lion statues, dominant red doors and windows, and other ornaments that are still preserved.
Wooden construction, carvings, red and gold colors dominate every corner, including the altar of the Church.
Four red wooden pillars stood supporting the altar. On it is a carved wooden painting showing the events of Jesus being crucified on the Mount Golgotha.
The oldest church in Jakarta, a legacy from the Dutch colonial government, is thick with European nuances.
Built in 1693, this church has a characteristic Romanesque style, which is seen on the arched pillars at the entrance to the building.
The Zion Church is located at Jalan Pangeran Jayakarta 1, the meeting point of Jalan Pangeran Jayakarta and Mangga Dua Raya, West Jakarta.
The location is approximately 200 meters from the Jakarta Kota (Beos) Train Station. Currently the church building is included in the protected class A cultural heritage building.
The distinctive feature of this church is the ornament of the pulpit and the Baroque-style pipe organ which is known for its dramatic shapes and intensively decorated with carvings.
The building that was formerly a Catholic Church is now the Protestant Church of West Indonesia (GPIB) Sion Congregation.
The Zion Church with a total area of 6,275 square meters can accommodate up to 1,000 congregations.
The bell at infront of the church is still original from 1675 and to this day the golden bell is still in use.
The church, which is currently located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Timur Number 10, Kelurahan Gambir, Kecamatan Gambir, Central Jakarta, was originally a church that was built on the basis of an agreement between the Reformed people and the Lutheran community in Batavia.
The church, formerly known as Willemskerk, is a cultural heritage from the Netherlands.
Initially, the GPIB Immanuel Church was only for Dutch East Indies officials blog. This church was built to meet the spiritual needs of Protestants living in the Gambir area.
Towering trees, a serene atmosphere and majestic pillars in a classic European style welcome anyone visiting the GPIB Immanuel Church.
When entering this church, visitors seem to be transported back to the classic luxury era of the past.
Also read: Age of the congregation is limited, the distribution of Christmas gifts for children in the Cathedral Church is abolished
The Protestant place of worship has a dome-shaped roof. At the top is a short circular tower shaped like a cube, decorated with stucco lotus flowers with six leaves.
This building is equipped with large windows typical of Dutch buildings. On the second floor there are also circular wooden chairs and an old pipe organ made by Jonathan Batz in 1843.
Until now, the pipe organ is still used to accompany hymns.
Read too : Why is Jesus Christ Important in My Life?
Immanuel Church still serves its people by worshiping in the Dutch language, namely on Sunday services at 10:00 am and Christmas services.
This church keeps a lot of history about the development of Batavia City in the past.
Therefore, through the Decree of the Governor of DKI Jakarta Number 475 of 1993 dated March 29, 1993 and based on Law Number 11 of 2010, the GPIB Immanuel Church was designated as a cultural heritage building.